I was thinking earlier about how much our relationships and interactions with people shape who we are. From the serious to the insignificant ways that we change because of what someone said or did or our relationship to them. For example, my mom changes the way she speaks when she talks to people from different countries. It’s like a light switch turned on and off. That quickly she shifts in and out of it. I used to make fun of her and think she was kind of racist for doing it, but I realize now that she is doing it to “conform” and get her point across more easily. People mimic others in order to be accepted, and that is what I believe she is doing when she changes her accent.
I’ve noticed a couple things in myself though that are a result of someone else.
- An increased interest in techno/triphop/glitch music. Or let’s be real—a development of an interest in it whatsoever. I got that from someone I dated, and it actually stayed. I like to listen to it when I am doing things because I don’t know the words (or there aren’t any) and it doesn’t distract me from what I need to do.
- Honesty and trust. Two friends of mine, Michelle and Jackie, have shown me that no matter what I do, think, or believe, they will not judge me and accept me as is. That’s not to say my other friends don’t, but I know that these two girls will have my back through and through.
- How to dress properly. For real though! I didn’t have a style when I was younger, or at least it wasn’t focused enough, and I didn’t understand my shape. A former friend gifted me this through several shopping sessions.
- Increased sexiness. Courtesy of the same man that introduced me to techno, he told me and gave me the confidence that I can be sexy, not just cute. I don’t feel like you have to show everything to be sexy though. I love to wear something lacy and then it’s a secret only I know about. Feeling sexy can boost confidence!
- That I can wear a bikini if I want to! Granted, I haven’t done this in forever, but a friend freshman year convinced me that I should try it, and so I did. Crazy time, and still can’t believe I did that, but it’s definitely something I want to do again. And SOON!
Well, that’s all I can think of for now, some serious, most not. But they all definitely have made an impact on my interests and confidence.